Thursday, February 21, 2008

the one with books as movies...hmmm

Some of my very very favorite books are coming out as movies. I adore these books and I love the idea of them having them acted out for me, but I hope they're done right. I almost feel like I have a personal stake in how the movies turn out, which is kind of a weird thing to say about a movie.

First up is The Other Boleyn Girl, about Mary Boleyn (Anne's sister) who was King Henry XIII's lover before Anne became queen. I loved the book and learned a lot from it about Tudor England. I think Scarlett Johansen and Natalie Portman are good picks for the main character, but I'm a little worried because reviews of it so far haven't been great. I can't wait to see it either way. It comes out next weekend!! Maybe this will be one of the last movies I go see with my fiance?

When I read Confessions of a Shopaholic several years ago, I thought it would make a great movie. Girl shops too much. Girl gets in financial trouble. Hilarity ensues. After five installments, I still love Becky Bloomwood and her antics. I usually don't re-read books unless I really love them, and I have re-read most of these. Anyway, they (the mysterious Hollywood "they") finally announced that production had started on it last year! I was so excited. Then last week I read about the casting, etc. and found out they are setting the movie in NYC instead of London, which just makes me upset. Why take a good British comedy out of Britain? I wanted to see London shops and have British accents. And now the sequel - Shopaholic takes Manahattan - doesn't work at all. I'm very upset. It would be like taking Bridget Jones or Harry Potter out of England. It just wouldn't work. I'll still go see the movie, but grudgingly now instead of excitedly. At least I think they got the casting right. Isla Fisher looks like a Shopaholic. Its due out next year.

Finally, The Time Traveler's WIfe. I can't even describe how much I adore this book. It's a bizarre love story, but a sweet one. Henry spontaneously time travels in and out of Claire's life, but somehow they fall in love. This is one of those books where the love story just comes through the pages and grabs you as being real and true, not just a love story dictated to you by the author. Does that make any sense? Some books you just know they're in love because you can feel it, other books you know they're in love only because the author tells you they are. I like the first kind of love story infinitely more. But I digress. The movie looks like it is going to be perfect. It has Rachel McAdams, who I love, and Eric Bana, who is really cute. It comes out in November and I really cannot wait for this one.

If you haven't read these books, read them soon before the movies come out. They are so good.

No comments: